Recently I installed Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 on my virtual machine VMware player and finally started the OS. As per the data provided at the time of installation, it asked for the login password. When I went ahead to enter the password, I realized that my keyboard stopped working. I checked the keyboard on my real OS which is Windows 7, and it was working fine over there. If you are facing the same problem with your Ubuntu Installation on VMware, then you can feel my situation at that time. Anyways, there is always some fix to keep going on technology bugs. So here comes the simple help to enter your password ob the login window.
Steps to enter Login Password in Ubuntu 10.04 on VMware
- Start the Ubuntu Installation on VMware and wait for the login window to come
- At the bottom or top of the window, you can see a small icon as “standing man in a circle”. Right click on that icon to see an option as “Universal Access Preferences”. Now click on that option
- A new window with lot many check boxes will appear. Check the box “ Use on-screen keyboard”
- Now shutdown the VMware and start that again
- On the login window, you can see a on-screen keyboard. You can use that keyboard to enter your password. Click on the password box and then enter he password from on-screen keyboard rather than the physical keyboard
- Once you will login to Ubuntu successfully, Your physical keyboard will start working properly
Here are some screenshots to show you the mentioned icon and on-screen keyboard of Ubuntu 10.04 on VMware.
1. Get the “Universal Access Preferences” option by clicking on the icon
2. Check the on-screen keyboard option
3. Enter the password using on-screen keyboard
If you are still facing any problem logging into your new Ubuntu OS, share your query/concern thru comments of this article.
Read more on Linux