Opera Mini is no doubt one of the best browser for mobile devices and so is the Opera Mobile for Smartphones. If you want to see how your website will look on opera mini on mobile devices, then you can install Opera Mini and mobile on Ubuntu Linux and test your website on laptop or desktop as well. Here are simple steps to install and run Opera mini and mobile on Linux.
1. First of all, your Ubuntu Linux should have Java Run-Time Environment (JRE). If your Ubuntu is not having that, then go ahead and install the same by typing below lines on terminal.
Type below line on terminal,
sudo add-apt-repository ‘deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner’
Now update the source list by typing this,
sudo apt-get update
Now install sun java packages by typing this,
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
To test whether Sun Java is properly installed on your Ubuntu, just type this to get the version installed,
2. Now install Emulator Microemu on Ubuntu by downloading and extracting the same
3. Go to opera mobile download page and select “Choose a specific version” link under “Install thru your PC” section on top-right side of the page. As Opera mini is available for mobile devices only, you will have to choose install thru PC. Now get download link for Opera Mini latest version say 5.1. Click on “View download link” to get the link for the same. Now download .jad and .jar files.
4. Now open the emulator and go to “File > Open MIDlet” and locate the .jad file of Opera mini. That’s it, now you can see Opera Mini browser running on your emulator.
Opera Mobile is specially designed browsed for touch screen Smartphones. This is having a native developer emulator which makes this tiny browser very much developer friendly. Follow the below mentioned steps to install and run Opera Mobile on Ubuntu,
1. Download the .deb file and install it by double clicking on the file.
2. Once installed, you can run and optimize/customize it as well.