Instant Weekly Roundup is a free WordPress Plugin which will help you create the weekly or monthly or any span roundups of your blog posts in a few mouse clicks and within some seconds.
Most of us wish to or currently do post the weekly roundups like Monday Morning Readership or Monday Refresher or Monday Roundup post on their blog. These roundups give our blog readers a small summary and links of the posts written on the blog in particular time span, helping them to go thru the list and read out if they missed an interesting one. Thus, it increases the blog pageviews, provides the readers with a comprehensive list of posts in one article and also builds our internal links and has many other advantages. We usually create that kind of post manually by picking up the important posts written in last week and then sorting them in proper order. Then we wrap up that list in some introductory or summary header and a closing note or a footer.
Instant Weekly Roundup, a free WordPress Plugin by Internet Techies, would help you to write, order, design and post such kind of roundup post in no time, it is simple and most easy. In fact you can generate the roundups for a month or for a year or for any time span like last 2 days or three days or a fortnight, any thing! Below are the details related to this plugin, by clicking on each tab you can see that particular detail as well.
Overview: Instant Weekly Roundup is a free, simple and internally powerful WordPress plugin to help you create your weekly and monthly roundups in seconds and save you some valuable time in writing other good stuff on you blog. Some of the important features of this plugin are as below:
1. Roundup or the summary post can be created for any time span, may be week or a month or any time span
2. Beautiful roundup post created by default, also you can change the CSS as per your theme styles
3. Handy TinyMCE editor to input the introduction of the post (header) and the closing summary (footer) of the roundup post. You can include images, links or any kind of media into the header and footer.
4. Option to select only required categories for the roundup
5. Option to change the category head description that should appear in the roundup post
6. Option to select only required posts from a particular category
7. Can reorder the posts and the category headers in any order
8. It is intelligent as it indicates the duplicate posts, like a single post under two different categories. So you can remove that post from either or the category list while generating the roundup post
9. Search engine optimized, as it creates the category headers under h2 tags, still has the option to select the tag for that header on the settings panel
10. Extremely light in weight, as no jQuery load, nor any script on the blog post page. Everything is only for the settings page in the admin panel.
11. And the most important, we try to provide the best of our support!
WordPress Version – Requires at least: 2.7
Tested up to WordPress Version: 2.8.4
Author: Tejaswini Deshpande, Sanjeev Mishra
Demo: Demo Roundup Post
Download: Download Instant Weekly Roundup
Support Forum: Support Forum Link
Changelog For Instant Weekly Roundup
As this is the first release, currently no item in the changelog. We will keep it up to date according to the future releases of Instant Weekly Roundup
This plugin is easy to install like other plug-ins of WordPress as you need to just follow the below mentioned steps:
1. Copy Folder “instant-weekly-roundup” from the downloaded and extracted file.
2. Paste it in “wp-Content/plugins” folder on your WordPress Installation
3. Activate the plugin from Dashboard / Plugins window.
4. Now Plugin is Activated, Go to the Usage section to see how to use Instant Weekly Roundup.
You can download the latest versions from here and then follow the below mentioned method of manual upgrade,
1. Download the latest version of Instant Weekly Roundup from this page
2. Extract and Copy the folder “instant-weekly-roundup”
3. Deactivate the Instant Weekly Roundup plugin on your blog from Dashboard / Plugins page
4. Replace the Older Folder of Instant Weekly Roundup plugin from “wp-content/plugins” folder on your blog installation.
5. Activate the Instant Weekly Roundup plugin from Dashboard / Plugins page.
Done! Now you have upgraded the plugin to latest version.
1. The tool needs to be operated from the ‘Instant Weekly Roundup’ settings page on the wp-admin panel. In the ‘Date Range For the Roundup Post’ enter the from date and to date which would indicate the time span for which you need to generate the roundup post. The format of the from date and to date is mm/dd/yyyy. You can either click the calendar icon beside each of the date input box to select the required date.
2. You would get all the categories on your blog which have at least one post in them in the ‘Categories For Roundup Post’ section. Uncheck those which you do not wish to include.
3. You need to write the header and footer for the roundup post in one single box ‘Write the header and the footer of the roundup post here’. Remember to separate the header and footer by [iwru] tag.
4. Press the ‘Submit’ button. It will output all the posts created in the input time span and from the selected categories.
5. You can change the header of the Category names, also leave the category name blank if you wish not to show it.
6. Drag and drop the elements here to reorder them.
7. The duplicate items are shown by a warning image, have a look at it.
8. Uncheck the posts which you do not wish to include in the round up post.
9. Press the Generate button, downside you would get the html code for your round up post. Press the ‘Select all’ button and manually copy the content (Cntrl + C on windows). Create a new post on the Edit Post panel of your blog, enter its title and paste this above copied content in the HTML tab. Remember to use the ‘HTML’ tab of the editor and not the ‘Visual’ tab. Preview the post using the Preview button on the somewhere right top of your edit post panel. And if everything is ok, publish the post and you are done.
10. You can also regenerate the html any number of times, by again reordering the posts or whatever.
Set the Options for the Round up Post
1. Here you can select the custom CSS for the roundup post. The containing div for the roundup list is ‘#iwru_roundup_posts’. And the class for each item in the round up post list is ‘iwru_item’. Select Custom CSS in theme style option and include various styles for this div in your theme stylesheet.
2. You can also change the Category Description Header element type by using the option ‘Select the element for the Category headers’. By default it is Header 2.
Screenshot: Settings Page
Make A Donation
1. The Ex-Coolest DHTML Calendar – for a fantastic free Calendar script
2. UI Sortable jquery plugin – for unevitable Sortable jQuery plugin, it made instant weekly roundup powerful
3. WordPress Codex – we are always grateful to WordPress Codex whose detailed and flawless guidelines always served as best resource to learn wordpress core and develop the base.
We also express our thanks to all the plugin developers whose invaluable plugins and codes helped us learn how to write WordPress plugins.