Microsoft has released the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and the ISO image is available to download. Last year, company had released Developer Preview of its upcoming Windows OS. If you were waiting to take a look at the metro style apps and tiles like desktop of Windows 8, then you can do so by downloading and installing the Consumer Preview on your Windows PC as well as on Mac (using Boot camp).
Are you ready to start the download process? Alright, few things which you need to know before starting the download,
- Windows 8 Consumer Preview is available in 32-bit and 64-bit option
- Downloadable ISO image files are bulky. File size for 32-bit version is approx. 2.5 GB and for 64-bit is 3.3 GB.
- It is recommended to use Download Manager to download this bulky file as you may face disconnection in between. Latest browsers like Opera, Firefox are having integrated download manager.
Download Links of Windows 8 Consumer Preview
64-bit Windows 8 Consumer Preview (x64) – approx. 3.3 GB – Download Now
32-bit Windows 8 Consumer Preview (x32) – approx. 2.5 GB – Download Now
Product Key - DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J
For other languages, checkout the official download page of Windows 8 CP (Consumer Preview). Product Key is same for all languages and versions.
System Requirements for Windows 8 CP
If you are running Windows 7 on your current computer, then you will not face any issue with Windows 8 Consumer Preview as well. Windows 8 CP requires the same hardware configuration as Windows 7. Here is the minimum system requirement to run this latest release.
- 1 GHz processor
- 2 GB RAM for 32-bit and 2 GB RAM for 64-bit
- Minimum 16 GB hard disk for 32-bit and 20 GB for 64-bit
- Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device as graphics card
- To see the touch effect on Windows 8 Consumer Preview (especially the Metro Style Apps), you need to have touch-enabled devices like tablets or multi-touch screen
- Minimum 1024 x 768 screen resolution is required to use Windows Store and Apps
- To snap apps, you need 1366 x 768 screen resolution and more
Where and How to Install Windows 8 Consumer Preview
Once you download the .iso image file, you can either write that in a DVD or directly use the same for installation. If you are planning to install Windows 8 CP on a new computer (fresh installation), you need to write the ISO file in DVD and then start the installation. You can also install this new Windows 8 version on your existing Windows PC using VirtualBox or VMware. Apple Mac users can try installing this Windows 8 CP using Boot Camp application.
Video – Windows 8 Consumer Preview Demo
More updates are coming for this latest release. Stay tuned.
Update 1 – Windows Server 8 beta is also available to download. Go to the official page and download the 64-bit ISO or VHD edition of Win 8 Server beta. (Approx. file size 3.3 GB)
Update 2 – Windows 8 Consumer Preview will expire on January 16, 2013 and Windows 8 Developer Preview will expire on March 11, 2012.