Today, the much awaited Mobile Number Portability (MNP) service will be launched almost through out India. Users will be able to switch between mobile service provider without changing their current mobile number. If you are getting so much problems like network coverage, quality, customer support issue and expensive plan issue, you may switch to another operator who is providing better service and having better plans. Idea and Vodafone were promoting MNP since long time as they are suppose to get more subscribers specially current users of AirTel and BSNL. Uninor is also having good plans and support and may get new faces because of MNP. Anyway, in case you are having questions related to MNP (Mobile Number Portability) then here are some details about the same.
Process to switch service provider under MNP
[ad id=’7′ style=’float:left;margin:10px 10px 10px 0′]- Send a SMS to 1900 as,
PORT <Your Mobile Number> for example PORT 9881199XXX
– You will receive a unique porting code through SMS on your mobile number. You need to use this code in communication with new service provider for MNP switch.
– Go to your current service provider outlet and clear your pending bills.
– Now go to new service provider’s outlet and apply for MNP program and provide the unique porting code that you had received after step 1. As unique porting code has some expiry time, so complete this process as early as possible.
– New Service provider will take the approval from old service provider and the process will initiate from there. It takes around 4 – 7 days for completion of this procedure. In the mean time, your mobile number will be operative. Government has told that the MNP mobile number service should not be discontinued for more than 2 hours when some technical procedure will be completed by both service providers.
– Current service provider will tell you the date and time when they will discontinue your number and the new service provider will start proving the service after porting your number.
Charge for switching number under MNP Program
You will be charged Rs. 19 for porting number from one service provider to another without changing that i.e. under MNP program.This charge has to be paid to the new service provider.
New SIM Card from New Service Provider
You will get new SIM card from the new service provider. You will have to change the SIM card to the new one after the complete porting of the number from old to new service provider.
Prepaid and Postpaid Users
MNP program is for everyone whether you are using Prepaid and Postpaid service. Prepaid account balance can’t be forwarded to new service provider. That means, your current balance at the time of porting the number will lapse and you can’t carry that to new service provider. Postpaid users will have to clear the pending bills before porting the number.
CDMA and GSM Service Portability
A CDMA number can be ported to GSM service and vice versa. For example, now you can shift from Reliance CDMA to Idea GSM service or vice versa.
Rules and Limitations of MNP Program
Of course there are some rules and regulations and limitations of MNP program. Here are some of the limitations of MNP,
1. You can’t switch the service provider for second time within 90 days of first portability. That means, you will have to use the 2’nd service provider’s service for 90 days and then only you can switch to new service service provider i.e. 3’rd one.
2. Circle Limitations – MNP does not work in inter circle portability. That means, you can’t change the circle and have the same number on different service provider. MNP is possible in same circle only.
If you have any query related to mobile number portability (MNP) which is starting from today in states other than Haryana where it already started from 25’th November 2010, ask thru comments. Share your experience of using MNP as well.