Last month we published an update about WordPress 3.0 that it is going to have WordPress and WordPress MU merged in it. Today, at the time of testing the first alpha of WordPress 3.0, I thought to show the special page created for WordPress MU in WordPress 3.0. Under Settings panel on Dashboard, a new tab is added named as “Network” which will be used for creating multiple sites as sub-directory or sub-domain. Follow the below mentioned steps to create Multiple site or Network of wordpress sites under WordPress 3.0.
In this post I will show you the new settings tab named “Network” and the process which you will have to follow to create new blogs under same network (same as WordPress MU). So this post will become the first look post for WordPress 3.0 MU merge Settings.
New Settings Tab in WordPress 3.0 Dashboard
How to Create Multiple Sites on WordPress 3.0
- Go to the Settings Panel on Dashboard and Select “Network” tab
- Now Choose the format in which you want the network of blogs to be created. You may choose Sub-domain or Sub-directory. You can’t update this after proceeding from this screen.
- Enter the blog name (Primary Blog) and Email ID
- Click on Proceed to go to the next level
- WordPress will show you an updated copy of wp-config.php and .htaccess files. Update these two files located in the root folder of WordPress installation
- Create a new folder named as “blogs.dir” under wp-content folder of WordPress Installation to store uploaded images on different blogs under the network
- Done. Now you can create different blogs under sub-domains or sub-directory (whatever you had chosen earlier).
Screenshots of Network Settings on WordPress 3.0
Screen 2 – WordPress 3.0 Network Settings
We are still testing WordPress 3.0 Alpha and trying to explore the new things. Till now we have seen only one change i.e. Network Setting under the Settings panel (as explained above). We will update you about the other changes which has come with 3.0 Alpha.
Keep reading Internet Techies for more updates or Subscribe to our daily RSS feed.
Update – If you are not able to find “Network” option on Dashboard or looking for the WordPress MU Merge options for multiple site network on WordPress 3.0, read the Step by Step Pictorial Guide to Enable Network Option on WordPress 3.0.